|“||The Longbow Destroyer is designed to provide fire support.It has a narrow field of fire and long range.||”|
|— In-Game Description|
The longbow Destroyer is primarily used in base attacks and bombardment of enemy ships from long range. It is a ship that has a narrow field of fire, slow rotation speed, low propulsion speed, and a lack of shields, comparable to all other destroyer-class warships.
The Longbow destroyer offers a 150% weapon range bonus to all weapons hence it provides:
- Rail drivers a range of 6000 metres.
- Scatter missiles a range of 5625 metres.
- Plasma torpedoes a range of 7125 metres.
- Mass drivers a range of 7500 metres.
See builds for the longbow destroyer here.
Longbows are occasionally seen in fleet vs fleet skirmishes at levels between 15 to 25. It is recommended that this ship be supported by Harrier frigates or Genesis cruisers if you intend to fight other fleets.
Another method is to fill a fleet with Longbow Destroyers, using the Line formation. While the fleet might die in the process, it will deal damage to the enemy fleet.
Like most destroyer-class vessels, the Longbow destroyer is fragile and somewhat cumbersome and should largely be kept at the rear of any fleet formation to provide fire support. Because of its slow rotation speed and narrow field of fire, it is often at risk of being flanked by quicker ships such as frigates.
All destroyers-class ships, unlike other ships, can predict a target's position when firing, so they fire at a location where the enemy will be, instead of where they currently are. This makes dodging their projectiles more difficult, but still rather easy if projectile weapons are lacking Iridium arrays.
Scatter missiles or HEX missiles recommended for longbows in fleet vs fleet, due to the range, DPS, lack of minimum range blind spot and being hard to dodge.
At a much higher level, some players equip longbow destroyers with energy weapons along with Focused Optics 4/5 for an extremely effective low level troll fleet.
Generally, Longbow destroyers are used by beginners to circumvent the base's Thermal ray turrets extreme firepower by out-ranging. Destroyers can out-range Plasma missile turrets if equipped with Mass drivers but at this stage, it is likely players have unlocked Broadsword destroyers, the Longbow's more powerful cousin.
A fleet of Gauss driver Longbows equipped with Strafe thrusters are able to take out low level bases, as long as that base doesn't have any Plasma missile turrets and the player is skilled enough to be able to dodge enemy Coil driver turret slugs.
- You get a free Longbow destroyer on the fourth day playing
- Like most destroyers, the Longbow destroyer is named after a weapon. The longbow is most famous for its ease of construction and simple design. An experienced bowyer can make one in a few hours.
- These ships are seen frequently during Civil War events as a replacement for the more expensive Broadsword destroyer. These fleets are cheap, hard hitting, and worth next to nothing to the player who destroys them.