|“||The Harrier frigate is an agile ship, perfect for flanking maneuvers and avoiding damage. Frigates only fire forward.||”|
|— In-Game Description|
They are generally only used by new players, and are quickly replaced by strong ships. Some use harrier frigates as decoys.
See builds for the harrier frigate here.
Strategy and SetupEdit
Frigates are light weight and agile ships. They are faster and cheaper to repair in comparison to other ships.
Because it is light weight, it can only fit a very limited amount of weapons and armor. In combat, it relies on its evasive maneuvering to survive.
Harrier frigates and frigates in general, their strength is dependent on the dexterity and reflexes of a player. They're very common at beginner level stages and are frequently mixed into low level fleets. Harriers are most effective when fighting against enemy fleets that use weapons that can be dodged such as Rail drivers and Gauss drivers.
One of the best ways to learn fleet vs. fleet combat is by using Harrier Frigates to defeat level 15-20 VEGA Cargo Fleets. Many players use this method to learn how to effectively command their ships in combat.
Harriers have very fast build and repair times making them completely expendable in battle. Players can build a fleet of these on their first day in game.
When upgraded to Mark II, they inflict substantially more bonus damage to battleships and destroyers, 50% and 100%, respectively, which is a considerable improvement.
They can be used as decoys against high level fleets, dodging the shots of the enemy fleet and distracting it while the rest of the player fleet smashes it to pieces.
Harrier Frigates are not durable ships in comparison with other ship in their Tier.
Genesis Cruisers have more armor and mass. Longbow destroyers have more range and can destroy Harrier frigates before they get close enough to attack. Rancor battleships have far more firepower and mass and can annihilate groups of Harriers.
Even with good equipment, they are so weak that they can be destroyed by a fleet of almost any ships that aren't Voyager or Pathfinder corvettes. As some Harrier Frigate fleets can reach level 20, they can be used as expendable fleets to debilitate enemy fleets rather than the goal of destroying them.
They're also easily dispatched by Rancor Battleships using the right weaponry. They are also very annoying during battle as they run away to irritate the attackers, especially when used as a guard fleet matching the player's base level.
Recommended Builds: Edit
Fleet vs. Fleet: Spectral shield III or Shockwave shield II for defence. Common effective weaponry such as Disruptor rays, Pulse rays and Scatter missiles are ideal, with the best armour you can possibly fit with the remaining space.
Those who use them as Decoys should fit Fusion Thrusters III, if they have them.
- You receive one free Harrier frigate at the beginning of the game.
- You receive another free Harrier frigate at the second day of playing VEGA Conflict. Despite this, you must still research them in the Ship Lab.
- In the early stages of closed beta, this ship could move swiftly backwards, this was nerfed due to it allowing as low as level 8 to take out more or less any NPC fleet with ease.
- Using Harriers equipped with Disruptor rays was a common way for low level players to defeat level 35 VEGA sector cargo fleets, however, VEGA warships have been replaced with even stronger ones and this is no longer possible.
- Due to the inability to equip thrusters , the MK ll variant of the Harrier Frigate used to receive a 10% boost to DPS instead of a +10 % thruster speed in other Mk ll frigates. This has since changed.
- Like most frigates, the Harrier is named after a bird. The harrier is any one of several species of hawk that fly low over the ground while hunting.