|Burst Ray||Burst Ray Turret|
|“||The Burst Ray is optimized for close-range encounters. It fires a deadly burst of rays in a wide arc, earning it the nickname "Energy Shotgun"||”|
|— In-Game Description|
|Projectile Speed||4,000 m/s|
|Firing Cycle||C: 0.0 / F: 0.0 / R: 5.0 / N: 1|
|Farming Tier||VSec Tier II||VSec Tier II/III||VSec Tier III/IV|
Prev. Available in
Martial Law (Store),
Special Event (Store)
|Arms Lab Required||VII||VIII||IX|
|Time||52m 30s||2h 42m 00s||4h 08m 30s|
|“||Vaporise enemies at close range with the Burst Ray.||”|
|— Event Store|
It is an extremely powerful, close range weapon designed to annihilate targets at point blank range. It fires a dozen yellow energy pellets at its target in bursts with a five second pause between shots, these shots have a moderate spread, much like a real shotgun.
They are popular weapons amongst mid level and high level players because of its extreme firepower and the weapon being tailored for short range combat. They are most common on cutters which can rapidly close in on targets as it has the shortest range in the game.
Strategy and Setup
The Burst ray is extremely powerful at point blank range. It has the highest damage output of any Rebel-ISC ship weapon. Because of this, it is popular on very fast ships like frigates and cutters.
Cruisers equipped with Burst rays can be beneficial in situations where they need to deal with cutters, due to the fact cutters must get very close to deal damage.
It also can be a very powerful mid game base rush weapon, some fittings involve using Heretic Cruisers and Hellfire Battleships with Burst Rays to shred away the Bridge while the cruisers tank for the battleships
Burst ray is very ineffective on slow ships. The Burst ray only deals its maximum damage at point blank range. While it can fire at short ranges, it will not inflict much damage. Thus, range boosting specials are not advised as most of the damage will simply not connect.
Burst ray has extremely short range, causing slow ships to be easily out ranged and kited by faster ships. Do not equip Burst ray on ships such as destroyers or battleships, as their range bonuses will only weaken the Burst ray.
Burst ray has a brief 5 second pause between shots. While each shot inflicts heavy damage, an entire burst may be wasted on a ship that's nearly destroyed to eliminate it.
Burst Rays are usually only seen on cutters or cruisers, but mostly cutters. Try to outfit as many IIs or IIIs as possible while still being able to equip decent armor and engines, this is bets used by a marked up Komodo Cutter
If your trying to do the classic Battleship, Tank rush tactic equip as many Burst Rays as possible and maximize your armor on all your ships, and try to have a decent engine with it aswell.
- The Burst ray's nickname is the "Energy Shotgun" because of the widespread of the shots and the insane damage with slow rate of fire.
- The Burst ray inherits the Polaron ray's old and slow rate of fire, and also has the same appearance when the shots are fired.
- The Burst ray is the first energy weapon that can hit multiple enemies per shot.
- The Burst ray is also the first and only energy weapon to have a spread and fires multiple "pellets", and loses damage in relation to distance because of the spread as less "pellets" connects to the target.
- The Burst ray fires approximately every five seconds, multiplying the DPS listed by five will give you the damage in every shot.
- Although it is a VEGA Ship Weapon it appears in VEGA Security Blueprints